Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Set Dance Ceili, it wasn't

Last February, I was at the Micho Russell festival in Doolin, County Clare set dancing to the music of Chris Droney and the Four Courts Ceili Band. At the end of the afternoon, the band leader announced that they would be playing Monday Evening at Vaughn’s Barn in Kifenora, for a special benefit for a priest.

I mentioned to my friend that I would be in Kilfenora on Monday visiting relatives and said that I planned to go to the benefit.


When I arrived at Vaughn’s, I sat near the door to put on my dancing shoes. All of a sudden there was raucous cheering going on outside the main door. You have to understand, that two people would constitute a crowd in Kilfenora at 9PM on a Monday. My curiosity got the better of me and I went to see what all the excitement was. You can imagine my surprise to see hundreds of Priests, Nuns and people in Chinese Kimona’s cheering speaker after speaker, on a makeshift podium, in front of Vaughn’s Pub.


I quickly retreated inside and saw Bill Lynch, the editor of Set Dance News, who was capturing the event with his camera. I asked him about the benefit that was supposed to take place and he told me I was in error, it was not a benefit, it was TedFest 08, a memorial weekend in honor of the Irish hit TV series “Father Ted


Just then all hell broke loose, the TedFesters all came at once, inside, forming a parade. Those of us who were there to set dance were in shock. The Ted Festers had their own emcee who announced that we were all there for an "Ecumenaceili" and then proceeded to teach the marchers a few Ceili dances, all in costume, of course. Have you ever seen Priests and Nuns, accompanied by Chinese, dance the Stack of Barley?

The Four Courts Ceili Band did play for the event, but I am willing to bet this was one of the more eclectic events that ever participated in.
The look on Chris Droney’s face was priceless. It looked like he was thinking, "how in God's name did this happen to me and when will it end".

After an hour of watching, we decided that it was best to leave Vaughn’s to the TedFest revelers.

A night to remember, but not for the set dancing.

No comments:

The Joy of Sets Related Websites

Joy of Sets - all about Irish Set Dancing
Irish Set Dancing - international social network for set dancers